Friday, September 30, 2005

Religious Musings after a hESC Seminar

Having worked at Mr. Edison's legacy, I'm delighted to see this quote by him:

Religion is all bunk.
Thomas A. Edison

Growing up without a religious foundation, I've always had a fascination and a repulsion towards religion. Still have it. I've always wanted to be Catholic - the pomp, pageantry, and all the red and gold just fascinate me. Anyone who shops with me, knows I am drawn to the gaudy and glittery - a trait I am trying hard to correct.

But then, being Catholic means I'd be subserviant to the males of the world....ugh....can't imagine....nuns are such dreary dressers...even without the penguin outfits ... though I did send one of my kids to an all-girls Catholic school ... I still fight the urge every day I drive by the corner Catholic Church with its big, grocery-store sign beseeching anyone who wants to become a Catholic to call 1-800-getcath, to give it a try. I've never been a joiner, and my sorry career state bears this out: the team-player-baloney of 90s corporate America always picked me last...

The Jews - weird cult in my mind - hard to separate the animal from the dairy - but perhaps I should give thought to becoming a Jewish Vegan - 2 birds with 1 stone, as the saying goes. Again, I get the feeling women are 2nd class....

Muslim - bad experience with one at my 2nd-to-previous job - told me I was being brain-washed by American Culture - I should be home taking care of the kids....I think he was going along the lines of 'bare-foot in the kitchen, making babies' 50s womanhood...what's wrong with using one's brain, doing something fun, making a contribution to society, and making money at the same time: providing house, food, and the ever-rising utilities for the little ones...I've always thought, it's best to be able to take care of oneself...because the world can be a cold, hard, and cruel place. Thank god (oops!) I wasn't born in the Sudan!

I remember from my high school Latin classes, reading the Iliad and the Odyssesy, and the River Styx and Hades...I spent many nights dreaming about being the nymph of the Underworld River Styx. At least women got to be goddesses and not always minions of men.

Lutherans - I don't know much about them...Martin Luther...just makes me think of the dreary middle ages, garbage in the streets, the black plaque, serfs, and paintings by Hieronymus Bosch. A dry lot, I think. Somehow related to the intriques of the royalty of England through the ages.

No comments: