Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wiretapping


When Attorney General Alberto Gonzales appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee at his confirmation hearing a year ago, I asked him directly about the legality of President Bush authorizing warrantless wiretapping on United States citizens. Gonzales dismissed my question as a "hypothetical situation." We now know that not only was such a program already in existence, but as a key advisor to the President, Gonzales had full knowledge of that domestic spying program.

The President has almost certainly broken the law, and next week I will be taking part in congressional hearings to determine the extent and legality of the Bush Administration's domestic spying program. I have grave concerns about this program's infringement on the rights and freedoms of law-abiding American citizens. I will have many questions about how President Bush justifies the legality of spying on American citizens without seeking warrants from a court as required by law. I will also have particularly strong questions for Attorney General Gonzales because his answers under oath a year ago were misleading.

I encourage you to read this recent article in the Washington Post about my work on this issue, which can be found online at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/30/AR2006013001318_pf.html.

Together we can demand that the President be held accountable. Thank you again for your support now, and in the future.

Sincerely,
Russ FeingoldUnited States Senator

No comments: