Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Bobby - dear brother

The true underlying secret to dying well is living well – including being ever-present to the reciousness of our days and “attending well and faithfully to at least a few worthy things.”

Kalidasa, a third-century Hindu poet:

Look to this day!
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course lie all the
verities and realities
of our existence:

The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of beauty;
For yesterday is but a
dream
And tomorrow is only a
vision;
But today, well lived,
makes every yesterday
a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow
a vision of hope.
Let us look well, therefore,
to this day.
Though I am not a Christian, I've always felt something for this prayer:
A Psalm as Salve for the Modern World (NPR and Rabbi Harold Kushner )

The Twenty-third Psalm
A Psalm of David
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for
His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me;
Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Valley of the Shadow of Death

Roger Fenton
British, Ukraine, 1855
Salt print
10 7/8 x 13 3/4 in.
84.XM.504.23
valley of the shadow of death

An expression from the Twenty-third Psalm (“The Lord is my shepherd”).
Figuratively, the “valley of the shadow of death” stands for the perils of life, from which God protects believers.
Amazing Grace
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.