Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Letter to the NY Times

First time published - after reading an article in the New York Times about a family dealing with a father with Alzheimer's ... btw - I submit relentlessly to the Milwaukee Journal http://www.jsonline.com all the time and never get published - but the first time I write a letter to the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com - I get a call from the editor about an hour after I emailed my letter, and I will be published in the Sunday times! go figure! So excuse me for bragging....


EDITORIAL DESK
Alzheimer's Sufferers And Their Caretakers
Published: September 19, 2004, Sunday To the Editor:

In 1999, my husband, Michael, suffered a major stroke at the age of 49. We'd just begun our empty-nest phase of life, with the last of our children starting college that fall.

With no warning, we were thrust into the dark world of a neurological nightmare: cognitive, physical and emotional abilities significantly reduced, daily seizures, job loss, rising medical bills, family life turned upside down, anger, sorrow, grief.

As taught by my Depression-era parents, my children and I became the caretakers, advocates, therapists, neurological experts, cheerleaders and wage earners. This was not without a terrible cost.

Today, careers put on hold have started up again. Medical bills are paid off. Some family members and friends turned out to be fair-weather and fickle; others proved to be constant lifesavers. Laughter returned. Plans are under way again.

Faith, morals and love carried us through these past five years of recovery and acceptance. This, I believe, is one of the greatest gifts of enduring the unendurable: Doubts about one's courage and strength become certainties.

Linda Roberts Milwaukee, Sept. 16, 2004

Published: 09 - 19 - 2004 , Late Edition - Final , Section 4 , Column 6 , Page 10

No comments: