Friday, August 12, 2005

Ghosts from Vietnam


OMG - I knew this kid. Tom Blackman. We dated briefly during high school. He was a year or two older than me. He was killed almost immediately in Vietnam after he arrived.

I've added the link to the Channel 12 article that was just posted. This is their photo - you can see it is watermarked with their logo.

I am stunned. I have constantly thought about Tom - I can hardly remember him at all - just some vague, dusty memory about a date. What I do remember vividly is that he was killed when he was so young in that useless war. And, what is happening now-same thing. I weep for his missed life.

This is a teaser - am not suppose to copy of publish re copyright laws, so please visit the link where the story is:

RACINE, Wis. -- After 37 years, a Racine Marine killed in Vietnam will
finally be laid to rest.

Pfc. Thomas Blackman was killed along with 11 other marines during a
10-hour battle in May 1968.

Seven of the marines have been positively identified by DNA or their
personal effects.

Last week, Blackman's dog tags arrived at his parents'
home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg - can you imagine how his parents finally feels after all these years. this makes me both happy and sad - happy that he's been identified and there is now closure for his family and sad for the same reasons. to have to go back and relive this all over again would be hard.